With the rise of cashless transactions in Ireland, it is now a requirement for local businesses to accept card payment.
While many card reader providers have long commitments and complex fee structures, solutions like SumUp or Yavin are making it easier than ever before to get a payment terminal with no-commitment.
SumUp and Yavin's card reader offerings are quite unique because of the flexibility and convenience they offer to merchants:
- Both SumUp and Yavin are no-contract payment solutions with n0 commitment. You can stop using your terminal at any time.
- SumUp and Yavin follow a pay as you go model: you only pay when you use your terminal.
- SumUp and Yavin offer the latest technology, with modern card readers and complete monitoring tools, to stay in control of your payments.
|Bluetooth terminals||N/A||SumUp Air
|Standalone terminals||Yavin Reader
4G/Wi-Fi, touchscreen, printer
SumUp 3G Printer
3G/Wi-Fi, touchscreen, printer
|Monthly fees||Pause/Resume At Any Time||N/A|
|Accepted cards||Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Maestro, Visa Electron, Vpay||Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Maestro, Visa Electron, Vpay, Discover, JCB, or Union Pay|
|Contactless||Cards, Google Pay, Apple Pay||Cards, Google Pay, Apple Pay|
|Funds transfer||1 day||1-2 days|
|Live support||Monday-Friday: 8am - 7pm
Emergencies on Weekends
|Monday-Friday: 8am - 7pm
Saturday and Sunday: 8am - 5pm
|Link to website||Start with Yavin||Start with SumUp|
As an entrepreneur, it can be hard to find the perfect in-store payment solution for your business. We compared the offers of Yavin and SumUp in terms of fees, features, and conditions, to help you find the best card reader.
|⭐️ Starting Businesses||⭐️ Established Businesses|
|SumUp Solo||Yavin Terminal|
Transaction Fees: 2 Pricing Models for Different Needs
Your monthly income is probably the simplest indicator for deciding whether SumUp or Yavin have the best offer for you. As a rule of thumb:
- If your monthly income is below €5K SumUp is probably the most relevant solution for your company.
- If you are a more established business with revenue of €5K or above, Yavin will help you save on transaction fees.
SumUp’s Commissions are the Best for Micro-merchants
If you make a couple sales per month or are unsure about your monthly sales volume, SumUp is arguably the safest choice for your business.
Regardless of your card reader or of the payment card used, SumUp will charge 1.69% for each transaction. This way, you only pay when money is coming in and there are no additional-fixed fees. Thanks to this transparent and simple pricing, it is very easy to monitor and forecast how much SumUp will be taking on each transaction.
Yavin’s Fee Structure are More Suitable for Established Businesses
Yavin’s more competitive transaction rates enable established merchants to pay about half of the amount that SumUp’s transaction fees are on average.
For each month that the card reader is used, Yavin charges a fixed service fee, giving access to all Yavin features and to their commissions fee of around 0.7%. It is worth noting that Yavin’s commissions are based on interchange, in other words, the real processing cost of a transaction. Therefore, most common local credit and debit cards will have minimal transaction fees while international and business cards will be more expensive.
Comparing Each Card Reader: SumUp VS Yavin
While SumUp offers 3 different readers in Ireland, Yavin proposes a single complete terminal. When deciding between SumUp and Yavin, you will have the choice between the following readers:
- SumUp’s Air, Solo and 3G Printer: a complete suite of card readers, ranging from a compact PIN pad, to a complete 3G mobile terminal with printer.
- The Yavin Terminal and Reader: sleek 4G touchscreen Android terminals with or without an integrated printer.
If you want a compact device with basic options, the SumUp Air or Solo will be ideal to get you equipped at a lower cost. If you need a more traditional terminal, the choice will be between SumUp’s 3G Printer, the Yavin Terminal or the Yavin Reader.
Compact Readers: SumUp Air and SumUp Solo
SumUp offers two compact card readers in Ireland: the SumUp Air and the SumUp Solo.
The Air device is SumUp's entry-level terminal, available for €39 + VAT. To operate, it requires a tablet or smartphone with the SumUp app connected via Bluetooth. Despite its minimalistic design, it can accept most card types via PIN or contactless, and offers all standard payment functions like collection, cancellation, and e-receipts.
❤ Get the SumUp Air now!
Solo was recently added to SumUp’s card reader series. Available for €79 + VAT, it has the compact size of the SumUp Air, but can be operated in full autonomy as it has an integrated touchscreen and a 3G SIM card.
❤ Get the SumUp Solo now!
Both the Air and Solo are great card readers for merchants looking for smart and compact card readers. The absence of large screen and integrated printer can nonetheless impact the customer experience and operating rate for larger businesses.
Complete Mobile Terminals: Yavin Terminal or Reader vs. SumUp 3G
The Yavin Terminal and SumUp 3G are two mobile standalone terminals, for merchants wiling to offer a more professional payment experience to their customers.
The Yavin Terminal benefits from the latest payment technology: large touchscreen, integrated 4G SIM card, Android OS, and high-speed printer, making payment fast and secure. The device is both elegant and robust (waterproof and drop-resistant), with a battery that lasts for over 8 hours. The only difference with the Yavin Terminal and the Yavin Reader is that the reader does not have a printer, but it still has electronic receipts and functions just as flawlessly. They can be bought for a personalized price, just fill out a form on their website to get in contact with them.
The €129 + VAT 3G Printer is SumUp’s most advanced mobile card reader. As its name suggests, it can connect via 3G or Wi-Fi, and has an integrated printer for receipts, taking the SumUp experience to a fully professional level.
❤ Get the SumUp 3G Printer now!
Merchants looking for a complete payment terminal can either go for the Yavin Terminal, slightly more expensive but more advanced, or with SumUp’s 3G to benefit from SumUp’s simple and integrated experience.
Two Complete Payment Solutions for Your Company
Beyond their distinctive pricing and card readers, Yavin and SumUp offer a wide range of solutions for your business. Based on your existing toolkit and preferences, SumUp and Yavin will answer your needs differently:
- If you need an all-in-one platform to manage your business (invoicing, POS, online shop, business account, etc.), SumUp’s complete suite of tools will be the easiest way to go.
- If you want an advanced and robust payment solution that can integrate to your existing workflow, Yavin will give you the flexibility required to integrate with your favourite tools.
The SumUp Ecosystem: Complete but Closed
When starting a business from a clean slate, you will have to get equipped with a variety of tools to manage your business: bank account, invoicing platform, POS, website, etc.
SumUp provides all these tools in an integrated and simple way. With an easy and transparent pay-as-you-earn pricing, SumUp’s stack of tools enables you to be in full control of your operations and payments. SumUp’s platform is therefore the way to go if you want to get fully equipped rapidly, with very limited upfront investment.
Yavin Terminal: Open and Connected
As your business becomes more successful, you might want to start using best-of-breed tools for your company, with more advanced capabilities. This can include accounting software, specialist POS, loyalty programs, etc.
Yavin was designed as an open solution, helping you manage all things relating to payment. Rather than aiming at replacing your other favourite tools, it can integrate seamlessly with your existing workflow. If you want to keep using your existing workflow, Yavin’s open architecture and integrations will help you eliminate frictions and automate tasks for your business
Conclusion: Start with SumUp, Grow with Yavin
The great thing about SumUp and Yavin is that there are no contract obligations. In both cases, you will get a trustworthy payment solution for your business, with no string attached and no hidden fees. If you change your mind for any reason, you can switch providers very easily.
SumUp is an Ideal Payment Solution for a Starting Business
Starting a business often means dealing with uncertainty, unpredictable cash-flows, and evolving needs. SumUp will help you overcome many obstacles for your company:
- Their affordable card readers will make it very easy for you to get equipped with a robust and modern payment solution, with very little money invested upfront.
- The pay-as-you-earn model, based on a percentage rate, means you will only pay when you make money, and reduce risks for your business.
- Finally, SumUp’s complete business solution will help you manage your company with advanced tools from day one. No need to spend time looking for costly or committing solutions.
Yavin is the Logical Continuation to SumUp
As your business grows and your revenue becomes more significant, Yavin’s payment solution will be a logical progression after SumUp:
- As with SumUp, Yavin’s will help you keep total freedom with no commitment or string attached.
- Yavin’s pay-as-you-go model, with a monthly service fee giving you access to lower rates, and will provide you with a complete and affordable solution.
- Lastly, Yavin’s open architecture and integrations will help you make the payment brick part of your existing workflow, to make your operations seamless.
|⭐️ Starting Businesses||⭐️ Established Businesses|
|SumUp Solo||Yavin Terminal|
📺 Watch Our SumUp VS Yavin Video Review